Friday, November 21, 2008

More activities...

The front disk brake kit was received and installed. It was easier than the rear kit - it took only a couple of hours to install. It came with all new wheel bearings and seals, so I bought a grease gun and a bearing packer. That saved me a lot of time. Grease is messy, by the way.

I also bought a Xantrex Link 10 (formerly called an "Emeter") which is a battery bank energy in/out monitoring meter. This will act as a "fuel gauge" for the battery pack. I also plan to use a PakTrakr battery bank monitor, which is a little LCD display that shows the battery voltage and status of the individual batteries. The combination of these two devices should give me a pretty good idea of how the batteries are doing while driving, and how much distance I have left at any given time.

The new electric motor arrived! I got a NetGain ImPulse9 from Ryan at evsource.com (my cherished EV parts supplier - they have everything I need). It's heavy. I mean Heavy. Well, OK, it weighs less than the VW engine, but it's hard to move. It's only 9 inches in diameter and 13 inches long, but it weighs 130+ lbs, so it's kind of like my own little personal neutron star.

I also got a new flywheel (lightened balanced Chrome Vanadium), new throwout bearing, clutch disk, clutch cable, gland nut, and racing pressure plate (that one is still on back order). With all this new stuff I'll be able to mount it up on the motor and make sure everything is balanced by running it from a single 12v battery.

1 comment:

Ben said...

That was a great job you have done, if you aren't affraid to spend some time with grease then you can enjoy the job.
By the way if you are interested about electrical vehicals and want to know more just visit this site.

electric car conversion kits