Thursday, January 29, 2009

Almost ready to take the plunge

The controller has arrived. It's a Zilla 1K HV with Hairball 2 -P option. It's the holy grail of EV controllers. It's brand new, drop shipped direct from Cafe Electric in Oregon. This is a really big deal. It cost more than the car did!

Got the pink slip from the DMV. Got the application for registration.

Got 4 custom wheels, which fit fine on the disk brake conversions. I'll stick some tires on them this weekend hopefully.

Got the rest of the cable parts from evsource. Ordered more stuff like fuseholders and cable crimpers.

I put the engine up for sale on thesamba.com and I have two people interested already. I need to schedule the day that I pull it and get rid of it, along with the gas tank and starter and emission control junk and old wheels.

I need to take more pictures...

3 comments:

de_engineered said...

Hey there...

I got this off of the SDIY list. While synth's are still to remain my money sink, erm, hobby (it's the topic of my blog, a school project actually), my dad's toyed with the idea of EV retrofits now and again, so I've some second-hand understanding of the process too. Looks like you're making good progress!

ElectricCurious said...

Could you give some idea of the cost of the conversion? I find this VERY interesting.

LightningBug said...

To get an idea about the cost of conversion, go here:

http://www.evalbum.com/

It will probably be around $15-20k but I figure that's what you pay for a new car anyway and they're not nearly as cool or fun!