Wednesday, August 10, 2011

All I have to do now is drive it (sort of).

It works. I put the car up on jackstands last night, put in all the fuses, and turned on the key. I moved the key to the Start position and the Hairball turned on the main contactor. All the good LEDs came on and none of the bad ones. I pushed on the GO pedal and the rear wheels spun up. Holy smokes.

Now I must say that if everything went perfectly, something would be wrong somewhere. The perfecter things seem, the wronger something would be. So there are some things that need to be fixed. Whew!

Not perfect thing #1: After the wheels spin for the first time after a power up, the Hairball is throwing a 1214 error code, the Hairball Error LED comes on, the serial port locks up, and the Check Engine LED in the dashboard comes on. Error code 1214 means "open pedal wire". I need to check the pedal cable.

Not perfect thing #2: The EMS battery display is just peachy all the time except when the Zilla is in motor control mode. I assume that this means there is high-frequency PWM noise messing with the composite video signal. Naturally this means that I am in for huge amounts of noise suppression experimenting, unless of course the first thing I try fixes it. That tends to happen with me a lot, for some reason. Either I'm way smart, or just lucky. Since I have plenty of evidence that shows that I am not very smart sometimes, I'm betting on the luck thing.

Not perfect thing #3: The DC-DC converter didn't power up. I discovered that the pack voltage input to the converter has a bad connection. Easy, but annoying.

Not perfect thing #4: I forgot to put the big HV fuse in the rear battery box cabling system. How did I miss that? A little too eager there Gene, Duh.

Not perfect thing #5: I don't know what this is yet, but it's out there somewhere...

Rat? What Rat?

No comments: