Saturday, August 13, 2011

The EV Grin

Yup, got the grin today, a few times.

The term is used by EV home builders to describe the involuntary smile you get when you drive your EV for the first time. It's like the scream you let out on a scary roller coaster - you can't stop it, it just happens.

I worked on the car again this morning before everybody else was up, but the whole time I was thinking "ya know, I could just get in and drive this right now". So I decided. I took Debby for a quick ride down and up our street, while she had her iPhone recording. Then I took Amy, then I took Shelley, and then Isabel showed up to work on her quilt and I gave her a ride too.

If Mr. Rat was hiding in the back somewhere, I hope he enjoyed the ride.

The car runs fine - how could it not? I've been pretty thorough in my testing. I found myself not being very surprised that it ran so well. Did I think I was going to yell and whoop and do cartwheels, like "hey, why is this thing running so well?" But just then fate stepped in. There was a brand new puddle of brake fluid under the master cylinder after the first run. The Universe was obviously trying to taunt me, like "oh so you think you're so smart, Mister Smartee Pants, here's a new twist for you". Ha, I said. Nice try. Leaky hose between reservoir and master cylinder. Not on the pressure side, so no danger of plowing through the street gates. Hose clamp temp fix. Quick trip to the VW store, new hose. Take that, Universe.

I spent the rest of the day doing charging experiments (it's charging right now, as I type this). The Manzanita fired right up and it appears to be doing exactly what it's supposed to. Since it's set at the factory to a volts trim setting that's lower than my traction pack final voltage, I need to run the charger, wait for it to hit the voltage limit, increase the voltage limit trim, and repeat until I see the charger go into timer mode when it reaches the right voltage for my batteries (about 201 volts).

There are some niggly things that I noticed, so I will type them here while they are fresh in my mind:

Niggle list:

The steering wheel makes a scraping noise when you turn it - the plastic trim collar is rubbing

 Somebody said the brake lights weren't working, easy fix if true


Digital motor amps meter isn't working - do I really need this, since the same data comes out on the iPad? Albeit, it's in hex.


Fix brake fluid hose

Need to install HV fuse in rear battery box

Need clear cover for rear battery box

Huh - is that all? Whatever, if's there's more I'll add it later. Back to charging now.

No comments: