Monday, July 18, 2011

The batteries are no longer in the garage

I was messing with the batteries in the garage over the weekend, trying out the inter-battery connection straps to see which ones I was going to use (Rick at EPS sent me a bunch of different ones to try). I wanted to figure out what direction the batteries should face in the boxes so that things fit together nicely and to make sure that the front-to-rear cables didn't tangle up with each other. One thing led to another and I ended up putting the front batteries into the car and cabling them up, completely. Next thing I knew the front battery pack was finished. I came to the realization that the cell monitoring boards have to be installed with the batteries in the car and the interconnects installed, so what the heck, get it over with.

Undeterred by my progress, and finding time on my hands, I got to work on the rear battery pack. As long as the front batteries were already installed, I wanted to get the rear ones in so that they all could sit through day and night under the same environmental conditions so they all age the same. Kind of like bottles of wine...

The rear battery pack has the batteries on their sides, facing the interior of the car, so they need some kind of securing structure across them to keep them from falling out of the box if you slam on the brakes. I designed and built some confinement bars to do this. Now I am waiting for the next shipment from EPS, with the remaining interconnect straps and the monitoring computer thingey.

I also cleaned up the last of the rat mess in the motor compartment. I miss him.

No comments: