Sunday, July 31, 2011

Chipping away at the remaining tasks

Yesterday and today I fiddled around some more and as a result got some stuff done...

I found a spot for the EMS computer by the front battery box and installed it and wired it up. I figured out how to get the hazard switch to flash all the lights and wired that up, and reinstalled the dashboard. I recently got an iPad mount from Amazon - it's actually a back seat headrest mount but it was cheap and for that price I figured I'd hack it up to make a dashboard mount. I got it mounted on the dash but it was pretty floppy, so I drilled a couple holes and bent up some sheet metal and made it all stable. Good enough for now.

I stuck the fuse for the EMS in and sure enough, the little LCD came to life. Everything that I do seems to work right the first time - this project just may actually be surprisingly amazing... Gosh, I hope I didn't just jinx the whole thing...

There is not a whole lot left to do:

Fill Zilla coolant system

Build rear battery pack 2/0 cables and connect to front pack and Zilla

Install seat belts

Install cell monitoring boards and connect to EMS computer

That last one looks good on paper but I know that it will take some planning and at least a full day without interruption. It's something that I need to finish once I start, since a partial job will cause uneven discharge of the cells. Perhaps I will take a day off of work.

Once I get the battery pack and EMS system done, I can fire up the PFC-20 for the first time. There's a lot of energy involved so it should be interesting. In a good way I hope.

Still no sign of Mr. Rat.

No comments: